The Clifton Mansion, the summer home of Johns Hopkins, seen above, was an elaborate enlargement of an earlier Federal period home, that of Captain Henry Thompson. The five-bay center block shows the symmetry of the Thompson House. Johns Hopkins engaged Baltimore architects Neirnsee and Nielsen to transform the house into the rambling Italianate villa in 1852. The mansion was used as the clubhouse for the City golf course after it was sold to Baltimore City in 1895.
The building is undergoing a major renovation, which respects the surviving original house. Over the years, several rooms have been subject to paint analysis. The conservation and retention of the original decoration is a major focus of this renovation.